Clayton Judicial Circuit
Assistant District Attorney
The District Attorney’s Office in the Clayton Judicial Circuit has an opening for an Assistant District Attorney. This is a trial attorney position. The selected candidate is expected to conduct felony jury trials while maintaining a caseload and appearing in court several times per week.
The following duties are normal for this position; other duties may be required and assigned:
- Conduct felony jury trials involving violent crime, drug trafficking, and theft.
- Conduct bond hearings, probation revocation hearings, plea hearings, Grand Jury proceedings, pre-trial conferences, and other hearings as necessary.
- Reviews reports submitted by law enforcement to determine if future investigation is needed; reads and researches case law.
- Drafts accusations and indictments; evaluates and researches potential defenses; negotiates pleas to dispose of cases; dismisses cases not prosecutable.
- Subpoenas appropriate witnesses for motions; researches and argues all pre-trial and post-trial motions; files motions in appropriate time frame prior to trial. Complies with discovery requirements by copying and mailing documents.
Minimum qualifications: All applicants must be a member in good standing with the State Bar of Georgia or be in good standing of another state’s bar association that is eligible for reciprocity admittance to the State Bar of Georgia; All candidates are subject to a background check. Applicants selected for hire will be subject to fingerprinting, a criminal history background check, a motor vehicle driver’s history check and pre-employment drug screening; employment is contingent upon the completion and satisfactory results of each investigation.
The Clayton Judicial Circuit is an equal employment opportunity employer and in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities.