Department of Law
Assistant Attorney General
The mission of the Department of Law is to serve the citizens of the State of Georgia by providing legal representation of the highest quality to the agencies, officers and employees of state government and by honorably and vigorously carrying out the constitutional and statutory responsibilities of the Attorney General. The Department of Law is organized into the Executive Office, five legal divisions, four specialty units and an operations division. The position filled through this announcement will serve in the Health and Social Services section of our Government Services & Employment Division.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
1) Litigates cases:
a) Participates in hearings and appears in state and federal courts to try cases and argue motions and appeals;
b) Researches and prepares pleadings, motions and briefs;
c) Attends depositions; interviews witnesses and hires expert witnesses;
d) Participates in settlement negotiations;
e) Prepares pleadings and discovery responses.
2) Provides legal advice and/or representation to clients/agencies; drafts memorandum of advice.
3) Conducts research on pertinent legal issues; keeps abreast of recent legal developments.
4) Drafts formal opinions in response to legal questions.
5) Responds to inquiries from citizens, legislators, and judges
6) Attends client, board, departmental, and division meetings as required.
7) Attends continuing legal education seminars as required; may make presentations at same
8) Travel, as required by the position
9) Performs other related duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications: Graduation from an accredited law school and Member of the Georgia Bar
Preferred Qualifications: Preference will be given to applicants who possess one or more items below: Some litigation experience, Administrative law and/or environmental law background, and excellent writing skills
Employment is contingent upon completion and satisfactory results of a criminal background check.
Candidates that are being strongly considered for the position will be required to submit a Department of Law employment application & waiver to background check, Georgia Department of Revenue Tax Clearance letter, and copies of official college transcripts.
Due to the volume of applications received, we are unable to provide information on application status by phone or e-mail. All applicants will be considered, but may be screened for the preferred qualifications of the position, and may not necessarily receive an interview.
*To move forward in the recruiting process ALL External applicants are required to:
· Attach a current Resume
· Cover Letter
· Attach “Department of Law Employment Application”
(click link to obtain: http://law.georgia.gov/careers/application-forms)
· Attach two (2) writing samples
· Attach copies of official undergraduate transcripts
· Attach copies of official law school transcripts
· Answer all prescreening questions
Salary Range: Minimum $65,000 commensurate with Experience
Submit resume and cover letter to: