Flint Judicial Circuit
Assistant District Attorney
The Henry County District Attorney’s Office (Flint Judicial Circuit, approximately 30 minutes south of Atlanta) has an opening for an Assistant District Attorney for Magistrate Court and as a backup prosecutor in our Juvenile Court Division. The following duties are normal for this position. Other duties may be required and assigned:
For Magistrate Court:
– Review cases (arrest warrants, reports, criminal histories) scheduled for first appearance, bond hearings and preliminary hearings.
– Conduct any necessary legal research for bond or preliminary hearings.
– Prepare officers to testify at preliminary hearings.
– Conduct first appearance hearings, bond hearings and preliminary hearings.
– Communicate with Victim Advocate to ensure victims are notified of upcoming court dates and the status of cases
As a backup for Juvenile Court (to fill-in, on occasion, as needed):
– Review reports submitted by law enforcement to determine whether further investigation is needed. Approve or return cases for more work. Research alternative charges. Read and research case law.
– Draft petitions and evaluate and research potential defenses. Conduct detention hearings. Negotiate pleas to resolve cases. Dismiss cases not prosecutable.
– Develop trial strategy for each case. Question witnesses, determine appropriate sentence recommendations. Attend pre-trial conferences with judge and defense attorneys. Prepare for and go to trial on cases that cannot be otherwise resolved.
– Subpoena appropriate witnesses for motions and trials. Research and argue all pretrial motions. File motions in appropriate timeframe prior to trial and comply with discovery requirements.
Minimum qualifications: All applicants must be a member in good standing with the State Bar of Georgia or be in good standing of another state’s bar association that is eligible for reciprocity admittance to the State Bar of Georgia; and be admitted to practice before the Georgia Supreme Court and Court of Appeals. All candidates are subject to a background check. Applicants selected for hire will be subject to fingerprinting, a criminal history background check, a motor vehicle driver’s history check and pre-employment drug screening; employment is contingent upon the completion and satisfactory results of each investigation.
The Flint Judicial Circuit is an equal employment opportunity employer and in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities.
Salary Range: commensurate with experience
Contact Number: 770-288-6400