Rome Judicial Circuit
Assistant District Attorney
The District Attorney’s Office in the Rome Judicial Circuit has an opening for a State Paid Assistant District Attorney. Must work well with others. The following duties are normal for this position; other duties may be required and assigned:
• Drafts accusations and indictments; evaluates and researches potential defenses; dismisses cases not prosecutable.
• Reads cases submitted by investigators; reads police reports; determines whether further investigation is needed; approves or returns cases for more work; researches alternative crimes; reads and researches case law.
• Determines appropriate sentence recommendations; attends arraignment calendars; attends pre-trial conferences with judge and defense attorneys.
• Subpoenas appropriate witnesses for motions; researches and argues all pretrial and post-trial motions; files motions in appropriate time frame prior to trial.
• Complies with discovery requirements by copying and mailing documents.
• Works with trial team investigators and other ADAs to coordinate witnesses and evidence for trials; gathers and labels evidence.
• Negotiates pleas to dispose of cases.
• Interviews witnesses, victims, experts, and the police; questions potential jurors and selects jury.
• Develops trial strategy for each case; organizes opening and closing arguments; presents evidence at trial; consults with supervisors about trial strategy.
• Reads appellate briefs and case transcripts; researches and writes responses to briefs.
• Represents state in probation revocation hearings; responds to parole notices.
• Handles telephone calls from attorneys, witnesses, and concerned citizens.
• Determines appropriate bond amounts. Attends meetings; maintains continuing education requirements.
Minimum qualifications: All applicants must be a member in good standing with the State Bar of Georgia or be in good standing of another state’s bar association that is eligible for reciprocity admittance to the State Bar of Georgia; and be admitted to practice before the Georgia Supreme Court and Court of Appeals. All candidates are subject to a background check. Applicants selected for hire will be subject to fingerprinting, a criminal history background check, a motor vehicle driver’s history check and pre-employment drug screening; employment is contingent upon the completion and satisfactory results of each investigation.
Preferred Qualifications: Courtroom experience preferred.
The Rome Judicial Circuit is an equal employment opportunity employer and in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities.
Salary Range: State ADA pay scale, based on experience, additional county supplement
Contact Number: 706-291-5210
Submit resume and cover letter to:
Mailing Address: 3 Government Plaza, Suite 108
Rome, Georgia 30161