Stone Mountain Judicial Circuit
Assistant District Attorney - Appellate Division
The District Attorney’s Office in the Stone Mountain Judicial Circuit is seeking an Assistant District Attorney in the Appellate Division. This position principally involves appeals to the Georgia Supreme Court and the Georgia Court of Appeals, motions for new trial and other post-conviction motions in DeKalb County Superior Court, and legal research and trial support for fellow members of the office.
The following skills are required for the position:
• Excellent writing and oral communication skills;
• Ability to complete complex legal research efficiently using LEXIS+ and communicate the results effectively;
• Proficiency in writing appellate briefs and drafting proposed orders in Superior Court;
• Ability to manage a substantial appellate caseload;
• Ability to present oral arguments before the Georgia appellate courts;
• Understanding of the rules, practices, and procedures of the Georgia appellate courts;
• Strong organizational skills and ability to comply with deadlines;
• Able to work effectively as a team player with the other appellate attorneys.
Preferred Qualifications: Minimum qualifications: All applicants must be a member in good standing with the State Bar of Georgia and must be admitted to practice before the Supreme Court of Georgia and the Georgia Court of Appeals. A minimum of three (3) years of experience working in a government legal office or law firm is preferred, ideally with experience in writing appellate briefs and in arguing before appellate courts. Extensive moot court experience and/or judicial clerkship experience will also be considered.
All candidates are subject to a background check. Applicants selected for hire will be subject to fingerprinting, a criminal history background check, a motor vehicle driver’s history check and pre-employment drug screening; employment is contingent upon the completion and satisfactory results of each investigation.
The Stone Mountain Judicial Circuit is an equal employment opportunity employer and in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities.
Please submit cover letter, resume, list of references and a current writing sample by June 30, 2022 to: Deborah Wellborn at email@example.com
Salary Range: Salary and benefits will be commensurate with experience.