Upcoming Training Events
Asset Forfeiture (Prosecutor Edition) – LaFayette, Georgia
The Prosecuting Attorneys’ Council of Georgia invites law enforcement and prosecutors to attend the Asset Forfeiture Training being held at the Bank of LaFayette Community Center on December 13, 2019.
Bank of LaFayette Community Center
Nuts and Bolts of Asset Forfeiture
On April 2, 2015, the General Assembly passed HB 233, the Uniform Civil Forfeiture Procedure Act, which not only will apply to Drug Forfeiture, but forfeitures of any kind, including RICO and Gambling. The Bill provides many changes in the manner in which assets are to be seized and forfeited. It also provides many changes in which forfeited assets are to be distributed, used and reported on an annual basis. This class is designed to teach this new procedure which will become effective on July 1, 2015 and applies to all seizures occurring on that date or thereafter.
Topics specifically covered during this training include:
- The Purposes of Asset Forfeiture
- What can and can’t be Seized
- The Procedures Required to Pursue Asset Forfeiture
- The Distribution of Forfeited Assets
- The Lawful Purposes to which Forfeited Assets may be used
- The Reporting Requirements for Law Enforcement and District Attorneys