DeKalb County Solicitor-General’s Office
The DeKalb County Solicitor-General’s Office is looking to hire 5 Assistant Solicitors. The job duties include:
- Conducting initial case evaluations as assigned; reviews case file and analyzes the facts and evidence of the case; may assess client eligibility and needs;
- reviews criminal histories; determines appropriateness of diversion, dismissal, or charges; reviews accuracy of jurisdiction, venue, and scope of arrest powers; ensures sufficient probable cause; prepares or reviews charges and discovery; and prepares for all court hearings or arraignments.
- investigates, analyzes, and prepares assigned cases for hearings and trials; may interview clients in and out of custody;
- requests and inspects records and evidence;
- prepares graphics and exhibits; makes investigative requests and follows up on leads;
- obtains and reviews scientific results and analysis;
- identifies and interviews witnesses and alibis; observes crime scenes;
- subpoenas witnesses and prepares them for trial; may prepare clients for trial;
- determines need for, procures, and interviews expert witnesses;
- assesses need for psychological/psychiatric evaluation of client;
- anticipates legal issues; assists in the development of case strategies; and presents cases to superiors.
- represents clients or State of Georgia at arraignments, preliminary and pre-trial hearings and conferences, motion hearings, jury and bench trials, probation and sentencing, post-adjudication/post-conviction hearings, alternative and diversion programs, specialty courts, or any related courtroom proceedings;
- prepares and argues motions and evidence;
- negotiates and presents plea resolutions;
- negotiates at all stages on behalf of the client; advises clients or victims regarding the acceptance or rejection of plea offers; and assists with jury selection, opening and closing statements, evidence presentation, witness questioning, and bond/sentencing recommendations as assigned.
Preferred Qualifications: Juris Doctorate Degree required; one year of experience in criminal justice, legal, or related field; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job.
Specific License or Certification Required: Must possess and maintain a valid Georgia driver’s license; and must possess and maintain licensure from the Georgia State Bar Association.
The DeKalb County Solicitor-General’s Office is an equal employment opportunity employer and in compliance with the American with Disabilities Act, will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities.
Salary Range: $75K-$90K Based on Experience in Prosecution
Contact Number: 770-286-8406
Submit resume and cover letter to: