Clayton Judicial Circuit
The District Attorney’s Office in the Clayton Judicial Circuit has an opening for a Legal Secretary with the Forfeiture Division. The following duties are normal for this position; other duties may be required and assigned:
PURPOSE OF CLASSIFICATION: The purpose of this classification is to perform legal administrative work for the Forfeiture Unit in the District Attorney’s Office. Work involves receiving forfeiture paperwork from law enforcement/task force officers, preparing and filing forfeiture paperwork, and assisting the Forfeiture Unit.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: The following duties are normal for this position. The omission of specific statements of the duties does not exclude them from the classification if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment for this classification. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Performs legal administrative work for the Forfeiture Unit consisting of Assistant District Attorneys and Investigators.
- Creates file folders and orders incident reports; enters information and case numbers into computer system; prepares required forfeiture paperwork, files same with the clerk, requests service of same by the Sheriff, receives answers, performs other requested duties.
- Keeps monthly log of how many forfeiture cases are received in the office.
- Prepares all Complaints, Notice of Seizure, trial motions, and calendars for assigned courtroom; maintains files for all calendars and distributes.
- Responsible for ensuring all notices and subpoenas are mailed out in a timely manner. Prepares all discovery and motions.
- Responsible for ensuring all judgments are logged into Excel, filed with the clerk, and mailed to all parties and police departments for distribution.
- Closes all cases and keeps monthly and yearly stats. Prepares monthly reports and distribution sheets.
- Receives all calls and mail for assigned Assistant District Attorneys. Assists callers regarding court date, distributions, etc.
- Types Complaints, Summons, Notice of Seizure, posting the Notice of Seizure, Final Judgments, Final Administrative Forfeitures, preparing paperwork so that vehicles, and/or other property can be sold.
- Types all correspondence for Assistant District Attorneys as required; orders certified copies of previous convictions, address/person search, publications with the local newspaper.
ADDITIONAL FUNCTIONS: Performs other related duties as required.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: High school diploma or GED; supplemented by two (2) years experience providing clerical support in a legal, administrative business, or professional environment; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job. Preferably proficient in Excel and Microsoft Word.
Must be at least 18 years of age and have a high school diploma or its recognized equivalent. All candidates are subject to a background check. Applicants selected for hire will be subject to fingerprinting, a criminal history background check, a motor vehicle driver’s history check and pre-employment drug screening; employment is contingent upon the completion and satisfactory results of each investigation.
The Clayton Judicial Circuit is an equal employment opportunity employer and in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities.
Salary Range: To be determined
Submit resume and cover letter to: