Northeastern Judicial Circuit
Assistant District Attorney
The District Attorney’s Office in the Northeastern Judicial Circuit has an opening for an Assistant District Attorney. The following duties are normal for this position; other duties may be required and assigned:
- Reviews reports submitted by law enforcement to determine whether further investigation is needed; approves or returns cases for more work; researches alternative crimes; reads and researches case law.
- Drafts accusations and indictments; evaluates and researches potential defenses; negotiates pleas to dispose of cases; dismisses cases not prosecutable.
- Develops trial strategy for each case, presents cases to grand jury; questions witnesses; answers juror’s questions; determines appropriate sentence recommendations; calls arraignment calendars; attends pre-trial conferences with judge and defense attorneys.
- Subpoenas appropriate witnesses for motions; researches and argues all pretrial and post-trial motions; files motions in appropriate time frame prior to trial. Complies with discovery requirements by copying and mailing documents.
- Prosecutes in jury trials and trial before a judge.
- Handles all appeals in cases tried and convictions obtained.
Minimum Qualifications: All applicants must be a member in good standing with the State Bar of Georgia or be in good standing of another state’s bar association that is eligible for reciprocity admittance to the State Bar of Georgia; and be admitted to practice before the Georgia Supreme Court and Court of Appeals. All candidates are subject to a background check. Applicants selected for hire will be subject to fingerprinting, a criminal history background check, a motor vehicle driver’s history check and pre-employment drug screening; employment is contingent upon the completion and satisfactory results of each investigation.
Preferred Qualifications: Experience obtained in a prosecutorial clinic, a Solicitor’s office or a District Attorney’s Office is preferred, not necessarily required, depending on the candidate.
The Northeastern Judicial Circuit is an equal employment opportunity employer and in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities.
Salary Range: Commensurate with experience
Contact Number: No phone inquires, please.
Submit resume and cover letter to: