Tallapoosa Judicial Circuit
Assistant District Attorney
The District Attorney’s Office in the Tallapoosa Judicial Circuit has an opening for an Assistant District Attorney. The following duties are normal for this position; other duties may be required and assigned:
• Drafts indictments, accusations, presentments, and other legal pleadings and motions ancillary to any criminal cases.
• Prepares and represents the State in various court appearances including, preliminary hearings, bond hearings, pre-trial hearings and motions, sentencing procedures, quasi-civil condemnation procedures from start to finish, etc.
• Reviews cases, determines if all investigation is complete, interviews and selects appropriate witnesses, interviews victims, researches and responds to legal arguments, prepares witnesses to present testimony, presents cases to the Court, conducts direct and cross examination before a Judge or jury, drafts legal documents, and counsels with the defense attorneys.
• Gathers and analyzes evidence in cases including viewing and inspecting crime scenes.
• Reviews pertinent decisions, policies, regulations, and other legal matters pertaining to the case.
• Presents evidence against accused to the Grand Jury for indictment.
• Prepares memorandums of law, briefs, and legal research for trial and appellate cases.
• Prepares and files all pleadings relating to extradition including detainers, fugitive warrants, etc.
• Attends meetings, various community events, serves on committees, and make presentations as needed in the community.
• Completes other responsibilities as requested by the District Attorney or her designee.
Minimum qualifications: All applicants must be a member in good standing with the State Bar of Georgia or be in good standing of another state’s bar association that is eligible for reciprocity admittance to the State Bar of Georgia; and be admitted to practice before the Georgia Supreme Court and Court of Appeals. All candidates are subject to a background check. Applicants selected for hire will be subject to fingerprinting, a criminal history background check, a motor vehicle driver’s history check and pre-employment drug screening; employment is contingent upon the completion and satisfactory results of each investigation.
The Tallapoosa Judicial Circuit is an equal employment opportunity employer and in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities.
Preferred Qualifications: Prosecution experience preferred, but not required. Must be a motivated, self-starter, willing to work closely with victims and law enforcement, and a willingness to prepare and try jury trials.
Salary and benefits will be commensurate with experience.
Contact Number: 770-749-2106
Tallapoosa Judicial Circuit
Polk County Courthouse #1
100 Prior Street, Rm 204
Cedartown, Georgia 30125